Blue Jean Baby
You may have noticed ’round these parts that bargain hunting is a specialty of mine. Some people have watercolors or knitting, but me? My top hobby is the thrill of the find. This proves to be tricky on a place like Nantucket, that is, until the annual Lightship Basket Museum Annual Yard Sale. This is the holy grail of sales, filled with treasures a cheapskate like me can only dream of. They literally fill the entire greenhouse at Bartlett’s Farm with clothes, furniture, artwork, kid’s stuff – pretty much anything a person can donate, they will sell. And with so many high-end residents contributing throughout the year to this annual fundraiser, the sky’s the limit with what you could find there. I scored this Ralph Lauren sweater last year and a preppy vintage skirt two years ago, among other knick knacks that I have begged my husband not to take home with us (I mean, does one really need a ceramic quail figurine?).
With this year’s sale coming up this weekend, I was super-excited to get an early tip that in addition to all of the usual offerings, there will be approximately 400 pairs of jeans thanks to a supporter of the museum with a department store connection. I got a sneak peek at some of the styles and jumped at the chance to put together a few ensembles with my finds. We’re talking brand-new denim (most of the pairs I saw had tags and everything) in a variety of colors, styles and washes – for both men and women! They will be selling brands like Nautica, Ralph Lauren, Buckle – heck, I even found a pair of 7 For All Mankind that I was planning on making fit me regardless of what size the tag said.
I have never heard of anything like this on Nantucket EVER and I can’t imagine that it will happen again anytime soon. So here’s the deets you need to know:
- The sale will take place once again at Bartlett’s Farm inside the greenhouse, located at 33 Bartlett Farm Road.
- It’s open Saturday, November 19, from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. and Sunday, November 20, from 10 A.M. t0 2 P.M.
- If you are dying to get in before the crowds, you can pay the early bird admission rate of $10 and get in at 9 A.M. on Saturday morning. That means one full hour of shopping before the masses!
- All jeans will be $20! Let’s remind ourselves that you can barely get a sandwich, chips and drink for twenty bucks on Nantucket.
- In my experience previous years, I have learned that if you want the best stuff, you gotta get there early on Saturday. However if you want the best deals, you go later on Sunday when they’re trying to clear stuff out. But at that point, what’s left is what’s left! (Also, the Lightship Basket Museum is a nonprofit and this is one of their major fundraisers. Be charitable, ‘kay?)
- Want to stay up-to-date with what’s going on? Check out the Lightship Basket Museum’s Facebook page or the event page for the Annual Yard Sale.
If you have never been to this sale before, I cannot express to you what an experience it is. This is one of those things for Nantucket year-rounders that is truly ours. So grab your friends and some cash, bundle up, and get out there and shop for a good cause. You will most definitely see me there, diving head first into pile of denim looking for some more gems like these.
Want more details on the outfits I put together? Follow along on Instagram this week, where I’ll be posting pics each day of my ensembles leading up to this weekend’s super sale event.
See you there!
This post was created in partnership with the Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum. All opinions are my own.
Thanks to Molly from Trust in Your Wanderlust for snapping these photos!